A rich tropical oil that keeps the skin young and healthy
Name: Tamanu oil (Calophyllum inophyllum).
Citizenship: South East Asia and Pacific Islands
Profession: skin healer and revitalizer
I met it while I was leaving in New Caledonia and started appreciating its consitency and fantastic properties right away. I fell in love with its strong smell. We are now inseparable.
It cleared skin blemishes, keeps the skin smooth and regenerates old skin and skin wounds and burns, soothes sun burns, nourishes the hair...It is the base of my home-made all-natural facial lotion. It is my, and should be any woman's, (but not only) skin best friend. And it is PURE, simply natural, a gift from the tropics.
It has an exceptional ability to heal damaged skin and promote formation of new tissue in scarring, stretch marks, minor cuts and abrasions, burns, rashes, sores, ageing signs, and much more.
Antineuralgic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antibiotic, and antioxidant.
It is extracted from the fruit kernel of the tamanu tree, indigenous to tropical Southeast Asia and the Pacific: Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Malaysia, South India, Sri Lanka, and the Melanesian and Polynesian islands. The kernel fruit is dried in the sun for about two months and then cold-pressed to extract the oil.
It is traditionally used for skin protection from hot sun and to treat:
- cuts, scrapes, abrasions, burns, insect bites and stings,
- acne and acne scars, psoriasis, eczema, herpes sores, boils
- diabetic sores, anal fissures,
- sunburn, dry or scaly skin, athletes’ foot
It is also massaged into the skin to relieve:
neuralgia, rheumatism and sciatica;
It is used by Polynesian women for promoting beauty and:
- healthy, clear, skin, for clearing age and sun spots
- It is also used to prevent body odours and
- on babies to prevent diaper rash and skin eruptions
- It contains Sc Glucan which provides natural UV protection in that it prevents 85% of the DNA damage and oxidative stress induced by UV radiation
- it protects the skin against inflammation, skin redness, sunburn and insect bites.
- effective for healing wounds, burns, cuts etc.
- reduces scarring even on old scars
- used against acne
- antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal
- antitumor and cancer preventing
- anti-ageing and anti-wrinkle
The oil has a rich dark green colour and a fatty, nutty odour; it absorbs readily into the skin, without leaving oily residue. You can purchase it here.
Eur J Pharm. Sci 2007 Mar;30(3-4):203-10. Epub 2006 Nov 9